GATE Energy awarded Shell's Whale commissioning
16 Aug 2021 - Upstream Costs and Technology | Headline Analysis
Image not found
Kelvin SamKelvin SamPrincipal Research Analyst

GATE Energy has been awarded a contract by Shell to provide facility commissioning of the Whale field's future semisubmersible platform.

The company says the scope includes commissioning planning, onshore commissioning execution, and offshore commissioning. GATE Energy is currently executing the commissioning services for Shell’s Vito facility in the Mississippi Canyon area.

The Whale project is scheduled to begin production in 2024. It is expected to produce 100,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day (boe/d) and has a recoverable resource volume of 490 million boe. The field sits in a water depth of 2,681 m (8,796 ft) in Alaminos Canyon Block 772. Shell serves as the operator with a 60% working interest, while Chevron partners with the remaining 40%.

Related Articles